Take a look below to see what our Kids Ministry learned this Sunday!
Lesson 12: God Helps Us Make Good Choices When We Are Afraid
1 Kings 3:5
1 Kings 10:13
1 Kings 16:29 – 17:16
1 Kings 18:1 – 46
Bible Verse: Psalm 46:1 “God is our place of safety . . . He is always there to help us in times of trouble.”
Bible Point: God helped his people when they were afraid. He can help me make good choices when I am afraid too.
Resource: The Beginner’s Bible
“The Wise King” (pages194–200)
“God Watches Over Elijah” (pages 201 – 205)
“Elijah Helps a Widow” (pages 206 – 208)
“Fire From Heaven”(pages209–215)
TABLE TALK: Use the Table Talk questions below to start a discussion around the table at dinner or on your ride home.
- Where did Solomon’s wisdom come from?
- Do you think God could give you wisdom if you asked for it?
- Can you remember a time when you were afraid? What did you do?
- Think about what Elijah did when he was afraid. What are some things that you can do when you are afraid?
- (Pray to God, trust in God, ask God for help, ask God what to do.
See take home sheet for other suggestions
Kids will learn that having self-control has big benefits for them because the Holy Spirit helps each child have self-control and take responsibility for their own emotions and actions.
This video was used as an illustration to the lesson:
IN THE CAR: Ask your child what happened in class this week on the drive home, here are some questions to chat about:
- What happened in the video today?
- If you were one of the kids in the video, what would you choose?
- Wait for a second marshmallow or eat your marshmallow right away?
- According to the Bible are we weak or strong if we have self-control? (Proverbs 25:28, Proverbs 16:32)
- The Bible says: 2 Timothy 1:7 (NIRV) God gave us his Spirit. And the Spirit doesn’t make us weak and fearful. Instead, the Spirit gives us power and love. He helps us control ourselves.
- Who helps us have self-control?
- Remember that the Holy Spirit can help you to be powerful and he will always give you the right tools on how to be the strongest and have self-control.
- What do you think we as a family can do to follow the Holy Spirit and use self-control?
- As a family come up with an activity or a system to help one another be strong and have self-control!
From Pastor Donne’s Desk: An Article!